Reflections on Cambodia, Buddhism and Music

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Religious Dialogue

As an independent project this year, me and another student have been conducting a comparative study of two religious congregations in San Francisco's Chinatown. As part of our research, we have been interviewing clergy and lay members at both places. Today was our last interview, with the pastor of the church. It was a remarkable interview on many levels, but it struck me deeply for a few reasons.

First of all, the pastor is wise, tender, brilliant, and open-minded-- a remarkable combination of characteristics in a religious person. His life story was quite compelling, and was very different from how I would have imagined that of Christian pastor to have been.

I came to Buddhism after a period of intense skepticism for religion in general. In my early childhood, my parents brought me and my brother to the local Presbyterian Church. My memories of this time are somewhat vague, but I do remember worship, Sunday school, and the music. I have not really repressed these memories, but I never really cherished them either, perhaps out of skepticism for religion. Christianity made no sense to me, and until recently, I have always felt this way.

Our conversations with the pastor today were illuminating. Although I am now familiar with his church and feel welcomed by the congregation, it was very heartwarming to see a man who faced many of the religious and philosophical questions, and probably many more, that I had faced. Like me, he said that he believes that truth is not limited to one particular religion or sect, and that it is indeed this kind of close-mindedness that has been responsible for many wars and an enormous amount of suffering. I am used to talking to fellow Buddhists who share such views, but it was quite inspiring to hear a Christian with such a tolerant and ecumenical attitude. I was very close-minded myself about Christianity, and the opportunity to have a conversation with this man allowed me to his religion from a new perspective.

What I was most impressed with about this man, however, was that I could be honest with him about my own spiritual aspirations and experiences. His living, loving faith encouraged me in my practice of mindfulness, and his commitment and dedication to service and justice inspired me to further my efforts. It seems to me that our greatest teachers are those who allow us to fully encompass and embrace who we are.

No comments: