Reflections on Cambodia, Buddhism and Music

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Digital Manuscripts


I know it has been a long time since I have updated this blog, but as I settle in more at Stanford and begin to work on my Cambodia projects again, hopefully I will be posting here more often.

A current project I am working on is typing up various Dharma song manuscripts I came across during my stay in Cambodia. Several of them, such as this wonderful "smot journal" lent to me by Suon Bunrith of Amrita Performing Arts (www.amritaperformingarts.org), I was able to capture in the form of digital images. I am now in the process of typing some of the rarer songs into the computer with the Khmer Unicode font, which is a significant improvement over earlier imput methods.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful, Trent. You have embarrassed a Cambodian like me who barely know anything about them. :) Keep it up, bro.

Anonymous said...

Yeah. It's a great work!

We encourage your research!

Trent T. Walker said...

Thanks very much for your words of encouragement. It's always nice to hear that there are still smot fans out there.

Anonymous said...

:) I love Khmer poem and smot.. But my voice is just too ugly.. Hahaha.. I hope to hear you smot one day.