Reflections on Cambodia, Buddhism and Music

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Wat Lanka

Today, another beautiful day in Phnom Penh,



I went to visit Wat Lanka, a temple-monastery near the Indepedence Monument (above), that is home to about 200 monks and novices as well as a community of nuns. The main hall (vihear in Khmer) was closed when I came in the morning, so I quietly explored the rest of premises, consisting of many stupas (cheddai) and residences for the monks.

As I was walking out, a group of monks motioned me to come over and sit with them. We talked for a while in English and Khmer, about my stay in Cambodia and about Buddhism, until it was time for the monks to eat. I found out that one of the monks, Bhikkhu Saron, was a friend and former classmate of two of my friends at Silapak Khmer Amatak (Cambodian Living Arts), Rattanak and Seng. They were very suprised when I saw them later that day at the office that I knew their friend. I, too, was suprised and delighted to find even Phnom Penh to be a small world.

The monks informed me there would be vipassana meditation in the vihear at six in the evening, so I returned then to join a group of monks and laypeople in meditation practice. I am glad to have finally found a sangha (Buddhist community) in Cambodia where I feel supported and will learn more about this spiritual path.

No comments: