Reflections on Cambodia, Buddhism and Music

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Lecture/Performance on Cambodian Dharma Songs (Smot)

On April 18th, 2009, I gave a lecture and performance of Cambodian Buddhist Dharma Songs (colloquially known as "thor bot" ធម៌បទ or "smot" ស្មូត្រ) at the Khmer Arts Academy in Long Beach as part of the Khmer Arts Salon series, curated by Prumsodun Ok. I've studied Dharma songs with Cambodian Living Arts masters Prum Ut (ព្រំ អុ៊ត) and Koet Ran (កើត រ៉ាន) since 2005. For media coverage on the event, see this article.

I dedicate the lecture to the memory of my teacher លោកគ្រូព្រឹទ្ធាចារ្យ Prum Ut (1943-2009), who passed away this summer in the loving company of family, friends and students.

In the lecture, I perform this Dharma song in English I wrote for him, composed in the ពាក្យប្រាំពីរ (peak prampi) meter:

I raise these hands up to you,
Teacher, guru, of this song,
This melody, sung so long
Ago, before the Bo tree.

In your kind home you taught me
To chant Pali reverently,
Treat books with care, so gently,
And to daily humbly pray

To the Three Jewels, our teachers
And all creatures, 'til the day
You and I must fade away,
Die and decay, chasing peace.


Click here to watch it on YouTube.

I have also posted the complete video below (in nine parts):

Part 1:



Part 2:



Part 3:



Part 4:



Part 5:



Part 6:



Part 7:



Part 8:




Part 9:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have no idea how to contact you, so will leave a comment here.

I'm working on a novel set in Cambodia, titled Music for Hungry Ghosts. It's light literature with a melodramatic plot, but I do want it to half-way true to Khmer culture. The "music" of the title is smot.

Anyway, there's far to much to tell you all about it here. If you're interested, please contact me at philip.coggan@gmail.com

Thanks for your time in advance.

(On Blogger I call myself Igor Prawn, the nicknames of my son and daughter - see http://prawnseyeview.blogspot.com)